Malcolm Lyne in his book "Lewes Priory, Excavations by Richard Lewis 1969-82" gives a summary of the excavations on the site over the years:
1845 during the cutting of the railway through the site. Report by Lower (1846).
1850 John Blaker. Findings not published.
1882 William St John Hope (1886)
1900-02 William St John Hope (1906)
1902 Harold Brakspear
1923-26 Walter Godfrey (1927)
1969-82 Richard Lewis. Report by Malcolm Lyne (1997)
Following the 1902 archaeological investigation Harold Brakspear produced this fine drawing of the Priory layout.