The Monks of St Pancras
Lewes Priory, England's Premier Cluniac Monastery and its Dependencies 1076-1537

by Graham Mayhew
Lewes History Press 2014

This study, the only one ever undertaken of an English Cluniac monastery, outlines the history of Lewes Priory from its foundation to its destruction, using a wide range of archival sources from local and national repositories as well as the evidence of existing buildings and archaeological remains in England and France.

ISBN 978-0-9926984-0-9

In Search of Cluny
God's Lost Empire

by Edwin Mullins
Signal Books 2006

This book tells the story of the abbey from its humble beginnings as a hunting lodge given to a Benedictine monk by the local duke, through its centuries of wealth and glory, to its long decline until the French Revolutionary mob vandalised the buildings and it was auctioned to local entrepreneurs as a stone quarry. It also tells the story of the men involved in this vast enterprise, individuals of exceptional determination and single-mindedness, whose faith co-existed with extraordinary political acumem.

ISBN 1-904955-04-5

The Battle of Lewes

by E.L.Mann

Published by M.Harman, Lewes 1976

Sites clunisiens en Europe

Christophe Voros
Fédération Européenne des Sites Clunisiens
2nd edition January 2013

ISBN 978-2-9543929-0-5-0-9

Illustrated catalogue of sites which are members of the European Federation of Cluniac Sites (in French).
Copies available from the Trust at  
enquiries@lewespriory.org.uk

Battle Royal
A New Account of Simon de Montfort's Struggle
against King Henry III

by Tufton Beamish 1965
with a foreword by Sir Charles Petrie
 

Sir Tufton Beamish, Baron Chelwood MC (1917-1989) was a British Army officer and Conservative Member of Parliament for Lewes (1945–1974). He gave the Battle of Lewes Monument to the town.

ISBN 0-584-10018-3

The Battle of Lewes 1264
Its place in English History

Essays by
Sir Maurice Powicke
R.F.Treharne|
Lt Col. Charles H. Lemmon
with a foreword by Colonel Sir Tufton Beamish

Published by The Friends of Lewes Society 1964

 

 

 

The Priory of St Pancras, Lewes
A Short Historical Guide to
the Ruins at Southover

by Walter H. Godfrey FSA FRIBA 1927
 

Walter Godfrey CBE, FSA, FRIBA (1881–1961) lived and
worked in Lewes and was considered one of the outstanding
conservation architects of his generation.
His son Emil Godfrey (1913-82) founded the practice of 
Carden & Godfrey which has been consultant architect to
Lewes Priory Trust for many years.
The Trust hosts the annual Emil Godfrey Memorial Lecture.
 

The Battaile of Lewes and Other Legends 
of St. Pancras' Priory, Lewes

by Arthur Lee 1847

E-book on line